Near Keaau, HI, on the summit of Mauna Kea lies the amazing Mauna Kea Observatory. It’s the world’s largest astronomical observatory with powerful telescopes that are operated by astronomers from 11 countries. Unfortunately, it’s not accessible to the public. However, you can visit the free observatory on Saturday nights to view outer space using high-quality telescopes. If the experience leaves your kids wanting more, bring outer space into your home with a space-themed playroom. Here are a few planning tips from your local A-American Self Storage facility.
How to Build a Space-Themed Playroom
- First, clean out a room, and place large collections or unwanted furniture into self storage units.
- The walls and ceiling of your space-themed playroom are the most important elements. There are several ways to achieve a celestial look. One method is to paint the ceiling black or dark blue, and place plastic glow-in-the-dark stars or paper star stickers on it to create your universe. If you want a more sophisticated effect, use a star projector, install a fiber optic starfield system or create your stars using connected LED lights placed under hanging ceiling extensions.
- To create consistency during daylight hours, paint the room’s walls sky blue and add in fluffy white clouds. As an alternative, hang boldly colored space-themed posters.
- Hang models of all planets in the solar system from fishing line attached to the ceiling. You can purchase plastic solar system models or craft your own from paper mache. Don’t forget to include the sun and moon.
- Add a few props. Globes, space ship models and Star Wars or Star Trek memorabilia are ideal. A kid-sized rocket ship made from cardboard can serve as a mini play space.
- Finally, showcase the room’s focal point. It should be a quality telescope that can be taken outside and used at night to view the real stars and planets. Check out these cool tips to help you choose a telescope for your family.
Self Storage: Another Kind of Space Exploration
Sometimes you need extra space more than outer space. Any kind of renovation project involves relocating belongings to a safe place either temporarily or for a long period of time. A-American Self Storage in Keaau, HI has the solution to your problem. Contact us today to reserve your clean, affordable self storage unit, and gain the freedom to truly explore the free space in your home.